Impulse / VERVE RECORDS
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme: The Complete Masters
1. A Love Supreme, Pt. I – Acknowledgement
2. A Love Supreme, Pt. II - Resolution
3. A Love Supreme, Pt. III - Pursuance
4. A Love Supreme, Pt. IV - Psalm
1. A Love Supreme, Pt. III - Pursuance (Mono Reference Mix)
2. A Love Supreme, Pt. IV - Psalm (Mono Reference Mix)
3. A Love Supreme, Pt. I - Acknowledgement (Vocal Overdub 2)
4. A Love Supreme, Pt. I - Acknowledgement (Vocal Overdub 3)
5. A Love Supreme Pt. II - Resolution (Alternative Take 4)
6. A Love Supreme Pt. II - Resolution (Alternative Take 6)
7. A Love Supreme, Pt. IV - Psalm (Undubbed Version)
1. A Love Supreme Pt. I - Acknowledgement (Take 1 Alternate)
2. A Love Supreme Pt. I - Acknowledgement (Take 2 Alternate)
3. A Love Supreme Pt. I - Acknowledgement (Take 3 Alternate)
4. A Love Supreme Pt. I - Acknowledgement (Take 4 Alternate)
5. A Love Supreme Pt. I - Acknowledgement (Take 5 Alternate)
6. A Love Supreme Pt. I - Acknowledgement (Take 6 Alternate)
John Coltrane A Love Supreme: The Complete Masters on 3LP
Most Accurate Picture of the Making of the Iconic Recording!
Includes the Original Album Plus Previously Unreleased Mono Reference Versions, Vocal Overdubs & Alternate Takes!
On December 9th, 1964, John Coltrane and his classic quartet (Elvin Jones, Jimmy Garrison and McCoy Tyner) went into the legendary Van Gelder Studio in New Jersey and recorded A Love Supreme - the four-part suite that has influenced musicians and reached generations of fans far beyond the jazz world. Far less known is the fact that Coltrane, his classic quartet and two additional musicians - the legendary saxophonist Archie Shepp and second bassist, Dr. Art Davis - returned to the studio the next day to cut the opening part of the suite again.
Until now, the complete picture of what happened on those two days, including all takes, overdubs, and even studio chatter, has been unavailable. That will change when Verve Music Group proudly releases A Love Supreme: The Complete Masters, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the release of this seminal recording. It will include this alternate version, taken from reels from the personal collection of John Coltrane and originally recorded in incredible sonic detail by Rudy Van Gelder, along with revised notes and detailed information on these amazing lost sessions.
With the availability of long-lost session reels, A Love Supreme: The Complete Masters brings together all existing recordings and written outlines for the first time to paint the most comprehensive and accurate picture of the A Love Supreme story. It reveals how Coltrane's masterpiece came together, from its initial conception as a nine-piece performance - it turns out the original plan was for a nine-piece band, including three Latin percussionists - to how it changed and developed in the studio. While the 2002 edition of A Love Supreme did include some of the music recorded at the second session, The Complete Masters is the first to feature all six takes of "Acknowledgement," the opening section of the suite, in their entirety, providing a deeper understanding and appreciation of how Coltrane would allow music to mature in the studio.
A Love Supreme was Coltrane's most pre-conceived, meticulously planned musical recording: "This is the first time I have everything ready," he famously told his wife Alice after composing the suite in their Long Island home. It was also his most successful, a high-water mark in Coltrane's career and popularity in 1965-generating two Grammy Award-nominations, and earning him top position in various polls that year. That A Love Supreme remains a permanent fixture in lists of Greatest and Most Important musical recordings of the modern era - Rolling Stone magazine places it at No. 47 in its "500 Greatest Albums Of All Time" - speaks to the enduring significance of Coltrane's music and his message of spirituality.
As Kahn writes in the essay to A Love Supreme: The Complete Masters: "Fifty years after its release, voices that speak of divine light and supreme love have trouble being heard. Lines that divide people run deep. At odds with itself, the world lacks the spirit to ascend and is needful once again of a spiritual recharger like A Love Supreme. The sound and message of John Coltrane remain more relevant than ever."
Analogue Productions - ( 200 Gram 2 LP Vinyl Record ) แผ่นออกวันที่ 18 กันยายน 2563